Monday, September 09, 2013

Joshua Safran's "Free Spirit," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Free Spirit: Growing Up On the Road and Off the Grid by Joshua Safran.

The entry begins:
Like most everything I do, I went about writing my first book all backwards. First came the film, then the book. Sort of. The 2011 documentary Crime After Crime profiled my seven-year struggle to free a battered woman from prison. The film premiered at Sundance and had its television debut on the Oprah Winfrey Network. In one scene in Crime After Crime I talk about my own experiences with domestic violence as a kid and how overcoming that adversity led me to devote myself to pro bono work. The film also explores the strength that I draw from my Jewish faith. My book Free Spirit: Growing Up On the Road and Off the Grid is very much a back story to those scenes, telling the story of how my feminist radical mother ended up married to a violent alcoholic guerrilla fighter/shaman/poet, how we survived the years of abuse at his hands, and my unlikely reconnection with my Jewish heritage in the process. The book also brings readers on a journey through my years of hitchhiking across the American west with my mother, chasing her vision of an anarcho-syndicalist utopia, and encountering strange and outlandish characters along the way.

In preparation for my September 10, 2013 book launch, I teamed up with the producer and director of Crime After Crime, Yoav Potash, to create a short Hollywood-style film about the book. We were very fortunate to find an amazing cast and crew and...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Joshua Safran's website.

The Page 99 Test: Free Spirit.

My Book, The Movie: Free Spirit.

--Marshal Zeringue