Monday, June 11, 2012

What is Daniel Friedman reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Daniel Friedman, author of Don't Ever Get Old.

His entry begins:
I have a Kindle, and I like to take it to the gym with me to read while I am on the elliptical machine. There's a little rack on the front panel of the Pre-Cor that I use, which was probably designed to prop up a newspaper or a magazine. The thing can't really hold a book open to the right page, but the e-reader fits in it perfectly.

I started taking my Kindle to the gym last fall, when I was reading Chad Harbach's The Art of Fielding. The book has long segments detailing how college baseball team captain Mike Schwartz and his protege, the young phenom Henry Skrimshander get themselves into prime condition by lifting weights and running sprints up and down the stairs of the stadium until their abs glisten and they vomit uncontrollably. I was reading this while sprawled on my sofa with a bag of Tostitos resting on my belly, and the juxtaposition made me question some of my...[read on]
About Don't Ever Get Old, from the publisher:
When Buck Schatz, senior citizen and retired Memphis cop, learns that an old adversary may have escaped Germany with a fortune in stolen gold, Buck decides to hunt down the fugitive and claim the loot. But a lot of people want a piece of the stolen treasure, and Buck’s investigation quickly attracts unfriendly attention from a very motley (and murderous) crew in Daniel Friedman's Don't Ever Get Old.
Learn more about the book and author at Daniel Friedman's blog.

The Page 69 Test: Don't Ever Get Old.

Writers Read: Daniel Friedman.

--Marshal Zeringue