Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Keir Graff's "The Price of Liberty," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: The Price of Liberty by Keir Graff.

The entry begins:
If they made The Price of Liberty into a film, who would I like to play the lead roles? That's a tough question. When I write, I don't picture living people, so it's hard to imagine anyone personifying my characters onscreen. Not that I wouldn't want that to happen -- boy, would I love to see my book made into a film, even with Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen as the leads. That would be completely inappropriate casting, of course, but I could distance myself from the project, cash my check, and buy a full-page ad in The Hollywood Reporter complaining about the casting. I imagine there would still be some money left over after I paid for the ad.

I guess the real answer is that I wouldn't want any actor I've seen before to play Jack McEnroe, my rugged Wyoming hero, or Shane Fetters, his deadly doofus nemesis, or Kyla Stearns, Jack's ex-wife -- or any of the other characters in the book. I love discovering new actors in movies and find that, once I get too well acquainted with them, I don't experience their twentieth projects quite as fully as their first ones. By then the actors have become their own entities, or characters, and my feelings about them sometimes interfere with my ability to believe their portrayals.

But, if I had to choose, I guess I'd go for someone with the DNA of...[read on]
Visit Keir Graff's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: One Nation, Under God.

The Page 69 Test: The Price of Liberty.

Writers Read: Keir Graff.

My Book, The Movie: The Price of Liberty.

--Marshal Zeringue