Friday, September 24, 2010

Coffee with a canine: Kelly Creagh & Annabel

This weekend's featured duo at Coffee with a Canine: Kelly Creagh and Annabel.

Creagh, on how she was united with Annabel:
After my first Poe-related research trip to Baltimore, I returned with the hopes of finding a dog. I searched a lot of rescue websites and no-kill shelters. Although I really wanted to take every dog home with me, I had a hard time finding just the right pooch for my small yardless downtown apartment. Finally, on a whim, I decided to visit the city pound. In one of the cages, I found a tiny puppy pinned with several larger dogs. Needless to say that she was very very excited to see me. I knew right away that, not only was she the smallest dog in the entire pound, but she also had to come home with me. I made arrangements to adopt her, but the pound would not release her to me without spaying her first. So I had to wait. When I picked her up a few days later, I was so excited! However, it quickly became evident that there was something wrong. The first night that I had her, Anna would not eat. I thought this might have been...[read on]
Among the early praise for Nevermore:
"Tender, and engrossing, so richly textured and acutely rendered.... The chemistry between Varen and Isobel is positively simmering and as necessary as breathing.... Creagh totally “gets it”, the whole painful and traumatic high school experience.... An unforgettable and graceful story.”
–FiendishlyBookish.com

"Verses from Poe's poems and synopses of his stories are woven seamlessly into the story, and the ghoulish spirit Pinfeathers is memorably menacing and gory.... a creepy, otherworldly climax."
--Kirkus

"This Gothic Romeo/Juliet story is an English teacher's jewel box, with high appeal for readers who might ignore classic literature. Veiled and overt allusions to Poe, Shakespeare, and Frost will support discussion about love, loyalty, popularity, and independence beyond the trendy, dramatic, supernatural action."
--VOYA
Kelly Creagh holds an undergraduate degree in Theatre Arts and Master of Fine Arts in Writing for Children and Young Adults. When not writing or curled up with a good book, she can be found teaching, learning and performing the ancient art of Bellydance.

Browse inside Nevermore, and visit Kelly Creagh's website.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Kelly Creagh and Annabel.

--Marshal Zeringue