Friday, June 19, 2020

Q&A with Lisa Braxton

From my Q&A with Lisa Braxton, author of The Talking Drum:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

I chose a title that I thought was intriguing and as it turns out, my readers think so as well. On their face, the words “Talking” and “Drum” seem like an odd combination. It’s counterintuitive to think that a drum can talk. The title makes people curious as to what a “talking drum” is. People with a vague understanding of drumming have come close to guessing correctly, but they still aren't sure. Their questions about the title lead to a fun conversation that I always end with, “If you want to know the meaning of “The Talking Drum,” you’ll have to read the book.” My title does a highly effective job of piquing curiosity. Once readers get into the story they can follow the breadcrumbs to find out...[read on]
Visit Lisa Braxton's website


Q&A with Lisa Braxton.

--Marshal Zeringue