Saturday, June 13, 2020

Q&A with James Wade

How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

I hope it sets a certain tone or vibe. It's easy to make the connection between "wild" and the setting of mountains and desert. Also there's something to be said for the "wildness" of many of the characters, of the hearts of men, etc. But the real inspiration behind the title came from the novel's origin story. I was standing in the desert outside of Carlsbad, New Mexico, and I was marveling at the untouched look of the landscape. I began to feel guilty for leaving my own footprints in this place. But when I turned back I saw that the wind had blown my footprints away. In that moment I realized this land was not untouched. Of course not. Entire civilizations had risen and fallen away. Native Americans, Spaniards, Ranchers, Oilmen, and plenty of other footprints had been blown away, and each of their stories blown away. What is truly left wild...[read on]
Visit James Wade's website.

Q&A with James Wade.

--Marshal Zeringue