Sunday, February 12, 2017

Rachel Wahl's "Just Violence," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: Just Violence: Torture and Human Rights in the Eyes of the Police by Rachel Wahl.

The entry begins:
My mother tells me that when I was a child, I watched the film version of Don Quixote with her. Only I could barely watch it, because I incessantly demanded to know who in the film was “good” and who “bad.” My ten-year-old self apparently couldn’t stand the moral ambiguity of a film in which characters were too complex for such distinctions.

Has nothing or everything changed between my early encounter with the windmill-fencing knight and my book on how police understand their own violence? The book, in essence, asks the same question, but with an expanded way to answer it. I ask whether police who use torture understand themselves morally...[read on]
Learn more about Just Violence at the Stanford University Press website.

My Book, The Movie: Just Violence.

--Marshal Zeringue