Sunday, September 13, 2015

Four books that changed Daniel Herborn

Daniel Herborn is a writer and lawyer who lives in Sydney, Australia. His first novel for young adults is You're the Kind of Girl I Write Songs About.

One of four books that changed Herborn, as shared at the Sydney Morning Herald:
A CHANGE IS GONNA COME: MUSIC, RACE & THE SOUL OF AMERICA
Craig Werner

I picked this up as some slightly off-topic reading when I was studying history and knew instantly I hadn't read anything like it before. It was sweeping and optimistic and covered music from Sam Cooke to Public Enemy and detailed how it both reflected and inspired the civil rights movement. Werner's enthusiasm influenced how I write about music; it makes you want to listen to all the songs you haven't heard and appreciate the ones you do know more deeply.
Read about another book on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue