Saturday, September 08, 2012

Marcus Samuelsson's 6 favorite books

A James Beard Award–winning chef and author of several cookbooks, Marcus Samuelsson has appeared on Today, Charlie Rose, Iron Chef, and Top Chef Masters, where he took first place. In 1995, Samuelsson became the youngest chef ever to receive a three-star review from the New York Times for his work at Aquavit. His newest restaurant, Red Rooster, recently opened in Harlem, where he lives with his wife.

One of his six favorite books, as told to The Week magazine:
The Dooky Chase Cookbook by Leah Chase

I can't mention my favorite books without adding this cookbook to the list. Leah is my idol and my mentor, and I've been fortunate to be able to cook for and with her a few times. The Queen of Creole Cuisine still has the spirit of a woman who has run the kitchen at New Orleans's Dooky Chase for over 50 years. I love Leah and her cookbook is a keeper.
Read about another book on Samuelsson's list.

--Marshal Zeringue