Tuesday, February 08, 2011

What is Trent Jamieson reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Trent Jamieson, author of Death Most Definite, Managing Death, and The Business of Death.

His entry begins:
I've just recently finished reading a fabulous debut novel by a friend of mine Chris Currie. The book is called The Ottoman Motel, and is due to be published by Text Publishing in May 2011. I make mention of the fact that I know Chris, because when you read a book by a friend, someone you've worked with for years, you go into it with certain expectations, and trepidation as well - what if I don't like the book?

Well, I loved the book, and it's truthful depiction of loss and small town life in coastal Australia. Chris is a funny guy, he makes me laugh a lot. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't this dark meditation on yearning and fear, and just what happens when the world you thought you understood is yanked out from under you. But I'm glad that's what I found. It's the sort of book that..[read on]
Among the praise for Managing Death:
"I am totally in love with this series. I enjoyed the first book Death Most Definite, but Trent Jamieson has raised it up more than a notch for, Managing Death."
--The Qwillery

"The story twists back and forth like a maddened snake. There is less time spent setting up the fantasy premise, which adds intensity to the plot, and after the story gets its hooks into you it doesn’t let up until the end. With a final book still to come, many of the plot elements remain unresolved. However, there is enough resolution to close off the book. Now I just have to wait for book three."
--Australian Bookseller and Publisher

"And now I have to wait for book three, to find out where Jamieson takes his characters and his alternate Brisbane, which is, once again, as much a character of the story as the humans (and other “things”), so well is it drawn. Ah well, at least the wait gives me a chance to catch my breath!"
--Australian Speculative Fiction in Focus

"Managing Death is a fantastic continuation in [Jamieson's] bleak Brisbane underworld."
--Liz Grzyb

"Managing Death is filled with both action and an interesting spin on the myths on death.... [I]t is a very good book that has improved from the first book in the series, and shows even more promise for the next installment in the series. Not only that but the premise isn’t something that’s been done a thousand times, and with the lack of originality that’s been flying about, this book promises to bring an unusual and entertaining read for readers of all ages.
--Whatchamacallit Reviews
Learn more about the book and author at Trent Jamieson's website.

The Page 69 Test: Managing Death.

Writers Read: Trent Jamieson.

--Marshal Zeringue