Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Most important books: Jennifer Egan

Jennifer Egan is the author of three novels, The Invisible Circus, Look at Me, a finalist for the National Book Award, and the bestselling The Keep, and a short story collection, Emerald City.

She has published short fiction in The New Yorker, Harper's, McSweeney's and Ploughshares, among others, and her journalism appears frequently in the New York Times Magazine.

Egan told Newsweek about her five most important books.

And about two other books in related categories:

An Important Book you haven't read:

The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil. It's still in plastic, in a beautiful box set. I feel so bad about it; what can I say? I'll get there eventually.

A book you want your kids to read:

Little House on the Prairie. I really want them to love the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, because they were important to me, but I'm worried they won't because they're boys.

Read more about Jennifer Egan's most important books.

--Marshal Zeringue