Monday, November 06, 2023

Q&A with Finley Turner

From my Q&A with Finley Turner, author of The Engagement Party:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

The title is very matter-of-fact, which is something I really struggled with due to the lack of creativity. My publisher asked me to come up with ten alternatives, but we weren't crazy about any of them. The only one that I could see working was A Family Affair, because this novel is all about a dysfunctional family, love affairs included. We stuck with The Engagement Party because it does capture the fact that this is a claustrophobic book where none of the characters can leave the site of the party.

What's in a name?

Coming up with character names is one of my favorite parts of writing. I often pick names with the same energy as the characters, so...[read on]
Visit Finley Turner's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Engagement Party.

Q&A with Finley Turner.

--Marshal Zeringue