Friday, December 17, 2021

Eliza Nellums's "The Bone Cay," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: The Bone Cay: A Novel by Eliza Nellums.

The entry begins:
It's funny, I don't always imagine my characters as actors but for some reason I did have a lot of thoughts about the cast of The Bone Cay. There actually was a movie set in a hurricane a few years back, Crawl, that I actually watched as I was working on revisions to make sure I didn't re-use any important plot points. Crawl is about killer alligators so we managed to avoid much duplication, as it turns out.

There are four main characters in my book: Magda Trudell is our main character, who chooses not to evacuate from a deadly hurricane. She's the 40-year-old caretaker of a historic estate in Key West. For Magda I picture someone like Andie MacDowell or Sela Ward, although they are both older than Magda (on film I assume a middle aged woman would have to be played by someone 50-60 to get the effect!); I think they could both display a resolute character with a lot of passion. The next character is Magda's ex-fiance Bryce Delgado, a Keys native who tries to discourage her from staying. For Bryce, I'd pick...[read on]
Visit Eliza Nellums's website.

The Page 69 Test: All That's Bright and Gone.

Writers Read: Eliza Nellums (December 2019).

The Page 69 Test: The Bone Cay.

Q&A with Eliza Nellums.

My Book, The Movie: The Bone Cay.

--Marshal Zeringue