Thursday, June 03, 2021

Q&A with Stacey Swann

From my Q&A with Stacey Swann, author of Olympus, Texas: A Novel:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

Before I even had any specific characters or plot, I had the idea to write a novel that somehow merged classic mythology with modern Texas and all of its state mythology. The title Olympus, Texas allowed me to evoke both at the same time. I’m also a writer that is drawn to setting, so I wind up with a lot of place names as titles. I hope that readers can connect with the landscape of this part of Texas as clearly as they do the characters in the book.

What's in a name?

Coming up with the names of my characters was so much fun for me. I wanted names that riffed off the gods they were based on but still felt at home in modern rural Texas. Like most Americans...[read on]
Visit Stacey Swann's website.

Q&A with Stacey Swann.

--Marshal Zeringue