Thursday, June 17, 2021

Q&A with Martine Bailey

From my Q&A with Martine Bailey, author of The Prophet:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

I didn’t find choosing a title easy. My sleuth character, Tabitha, is drawn into the orbit of a dangerous preacher, Baptist Gunn. As his prophecies are central to the book I played with poetic phrases about divination and omens but nothing suited. I also wanted a title that neatly followed The Almanack with a similar feel such as The Quickening – but that was recently taken.

The story asks, is it possible to see into the future? Tabitha becomes increasingly fearful that Gunn’s prophecies concern her unborn child. Her husband, Nat, investigates Baptist Gunn’s claims, acknowledging that over centuries prophets have guided mankind. So finally I chose the plainest statement of all – The Prophet.

What's in a name?

Baptist Gunn is a rare but true-life phenomenon, a sleeping prophet who appears to make predictions in a sleep-like trance. In choosing his name I was attracted to the combination of the evangelical with...[read on]
Visit Martine Bailey's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

My Book, The Movie: An Appetite for Violets.

The Page 69 Test: An Appetite for Violets.

My Book, The Movie: A Taste for Nightshade.

My Book, The Movie: The Almanack.

My Book, The Movie: The Prophet.

Q&A with Martine Bailey.

--Marshal Zeringue