Sunday, March 14, 2021

Six of the best kid narrators in literature

Chris Whitaker lives in the United Kingdom with his wife and three young children. When not writing he works part-time at a local library, where he gets to surround himself with books.

Whitaker's new novel is We Begin at the End.

At Lit Hub he tagged six of the best kid narrators in literature. One title on the list:
Johnny
John Hart, The Last Child

This book will always hold a special place in my heart; after reading John Hart’s brooding thriller, I quit my city job and gave writing a shot. I was totally inspired by the fact that John had left a successful law career behind in order to pursue his dream of being an author.

The story follows Johnny Merrimon as he stalks the bad men of Raven County in an attempt to track down his missing twin sister, Alyssa. Johnny is a badass; he’s fearless and, despite his tender years, won’t let anything or anyone get in his way. Also look out for his endearing relationship with best friend, Jack. If I wasn’t such a badass myself, I would’ve teared up reading those last lines.
Read about another entry on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue