Thursday, November 12, 2020

Q&A with Jessica Gross

From my Q&A with Jessica Gross, author of Hysteria:
What's in a name?

I kept the narrator of Hysteria nameless. The novel is told in what I hope is a very immersive first person; I wanted to embed the reader as deeply as possible in the narrator's psyche. I never think of myself in the third person, so it made most sense to me to lean into "I" and "me" rather than to ever have her think of herself by her name, which would suggest she has some perspective. (Hint: she doesn't! She's very myopic.)

How surprised would your teenage reader self be by your new novel?

Very. Hysteria features a highly sexual protagonist who becomes convinced that her bartender is Sigmund Freud. My teenage self...[read on]
Visit Jessica Gross's website.

The Page 69 Test: Hysteria.

Q&A with Jessica Gross.

--Marshal Zeringue