Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Q&A with D. S. Butler

From my Q&A with D. S. Butler, author of House of Lies (Detective Karen Hart Book 4):
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

I think titles are hugely important. Along with the cover art, they are the first thing to grab a reader’s attention. Every book I’ve written has undergone title changes along the way. Coming up with the most fitting title is a joint effort with my publishers, who I have to admit, come up with better options than me most of the time! House of Lies was one of many possible titles we considered. Chidlow House is important to the storyline, and I think the title House of Lies both conveys the sinister setting and duplicitous nature of some of the characters in the book.

What's in a name?

The individual character names in this book don’t have underlying meanings, but I had fun naming the house. In the area the book is set there are numerous old country houses and manors, and I enjoyed making up my own and naming it. I picked Chidlow House as the word Chidlow is thought to be...[read on]
Visit D.S. Butler's website.

My Book, The Movie: Bring Them Home.

The Page 69 Test: Bring Them Home.

Writers Read: D. S. Butler (November 2018).

The Page 69 Test: House of Lies.

Q&A with D. S. Butler.

--Marshal Zeringue