Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Q&A with Glen Erik Hamilton

From my Q&A with Glen Erik Hamilton, author of A Dangerous Breed:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

Titles are key. They need to immediately draw a prospective reader's interest. For genre fiction they have to say "thriller" without sounding generic. And ideally a title will give a hint as to the theme of the novel. It's rare that I have a title before I've written the first or even the second draft of a new book. 

A Dangerous Breed was an exception. Since I knew the story would be about Van Shaw investigating his parentage, and his worries that violence and crime were inherited traits, I had similar titles floating in my head from the start. Consequently, the motif of dogs--fearsome and otherwise--and the question of nature vs. nurture worked their way into the writing without...[read on]
Visit Glen Erik Hamilton's website.

The Page 69 Test: A Dangerous Breed.

Q&A with Glen Erik Hamilton.

--Marshal Zeringue