Thursday, October 08, 2020

Q&A with David Heska Wanbli Weiden

From my Q&A with David Heska Wanbli Weiden, author of Winter Counts:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

The title of the book, Winter Counts, refers to the calendar system traditionally used by the Lakota people prior to European colonization. Rather than numerals, little pictographs were used to depict the most significant events of the year. And of course, the phrase “winter counts” also refers to the fact that winter is traditionally a difficult season for indigenous people, and most of the action in the book takes place in the winter.

So, I think the title works on several different levels to take readers into the book. There was a request by my press to consider changing the title, but I felt strongly that it should not be changed for a number of reasons. Happily, they worked with me, and everyone seems to like it.

What’s in a name?

I love this question! I use character names to give some hint as to the character’s personality and nature. “Virgil Wounded Horse,” naturally, gives a sense that this character is injured in some fundamental way. Another example would be the villain, Rick Crow. I thought that name implied...[read on]
Visit David Heska Wanbli Weiden's website.

The Page 69 Test: Winter Counts.

My Book, The Movie: Winter Counts.

Q&A with David Heska Wanbli Weiden.

--Marshal Zeringue