Thursday, October 01, 2020

Q&A with Brandi Reeds

From my Q&A with Brandi Reeds, author of The Day I Disappeared:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

Often, I have titles in mind prior to actually drafting a manuscript. The Day I Disappeared was untitled even throughout the first couple of rounds of developmental edits. We (my editorial team and I) discussed several other titles, including The Eleventh Girl and The Living Dolls, both of which seemed a bit too on-the-nose, and detracted from the main characters; although the most imminent motivation is to solve the case of a currently missing girl, the underlying and driving force behind it all is for Holly to know what happened to her. We also talked about The Blank Space, in regards to Holly's lack of memories about what happened to her when she was a missing child. Ultimately, we landed on The Day I Disappeared because it lent to the mystery and kept the focus on what Holly can't remember about the day she was kidnapped--or how she...[read on]
Visit Brandi Reeds's website.

My Book, The Movie: Third Party.

The Page 69 Test: Third Party.

The Page 99 Test: The Day I Disappeared.

My Book, The Movie: The Day I Disappeared.

Q&A with Brandi Reeds.

--Marshal Zeringue