Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Q&A with Demetra Brodsky

From my Q&A with Demetra Brodsky, author of Last Girls:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

The original title of Last Girls was The Juniper Sisters. I never even imagined another title until my agent suggested we pick something that was more in line with the book’s genre (thriller) and we took that thought to the publisher. The story of the Juniper sisters and how they came to be named was such a huge part of their backstory that I was a little resistant to the change, if I’m being honest. I made long lists of alternatives, my agency threw some suggestions into the mix, and we went back and forth with the publisher until we found something that stuck. There are several places in the book where the term last girls comes into play. For example, in chapter one their mother tells Honey, “You could be the last girls on this compound.” I can’t confirm or deny if...[read on]
Visit Demetra Brodsky's website.

Coffee with a Canine: Demetra Brodsky & L.B. and Ponyboy Curtis.

The Page 69 Test: Dive Smack.

Writers Read: Demetra Brodsky (June 2018).

My Book, The Movie: Dive Smack.

Q&A with Demetra Brodsky.

--Marshal Zeringue