Saturday, November 03, 2018

Nine great medical thrillers

Lydia Kang is an author of young adult fiction, adult fiction and non-fiction, and poetry. She graduated from Columbia University and New York University School of Medicine, completing her residency and chief residency at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. She is a practicing physician who has gained a reputation for helping fellow writers achieve medical accuracy in fiction. Her most recent novel is The Impossible Girl.

One of Kang's top nine medical thrillers, as shared at CrimeReads:
The Andromeda Strain, by Michael Crichton

This was the first Michael Crichton book I ever read, and I inhaled it while I was at New York University School of Medicine over twenty years ago. I believe Crichton wrote it when he was at Harvard Medical School, which made it all the more fascinating. I vividly remember the scene where he had used a form of epilepsy as a plot point. Fascinating. At that point, it didn’t occur to me that I could become a doctor and a writer, like Crichton. I guess it planted a seed! Or a virus…
Read about another entry on the list.

The Andromeda Strain is among Jeff Somer's' nine science fiction novels that imagine the future, Neil deGrasse Tyson's six favorite books, and Joel Cunningham's 11 fictional maladies that will keep you up at night.

--Marshal Zeringue