Thursday, February 04, 2016

Ten top books about cancer

Austin Duffy grew up in Ireland and studied medicine at Trinity College Dublin. He is a practicing medical oncologist at the National Cancer Institute in Washington DC. This Living and Immortal Thing is his first novel. One of the author's top ten books about cancer, as shared at the Guardian:
The Immortal Tale of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

I was halfway through my novel when I discovered – to my horror – that this book was coming out. Lacks is an important woman in cancer history and features in my book, albeit figuratively. She died of an aggressive cervical cancer in the 1950s, which was then maintained after her death as an immortalised cell line. I calmed down when I found out that Skloot’s book was biographical and, I like to think, a non-fictional counterpart to my own.
Read about another book on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue