Thursday, January 14, 2021

Megan Chance's "A Splendid Ruin," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: A Splendid Ruin: A Novel by Megan Chance.

The entry begins:
I always cast actors or models as my characters before I start to write. I find it really helpful because when I’m writing I see the scenes unfolding in my head like a movie. It’s all very cinematic, so the wrong actor can mess up everything. It becomes rather obsessive on my part, trying to find the perfect person to represent the character I see in my head. 

This also means that I have pictures of actors taped up all over my office, so it looks like the bedroom of a 14-year old girl, which can be embarrassing when the cable guy comes to fix the modem.

In A Splendid Ruin, I cast Rebecca Hall as May Kimble. I wanted someone attractive, but who wasn’t classically beautiful, and the look she had in The Prestige was exactly what I wanted for May. Capable and smart and...[read on]
Visit Megan Chance's website.

My Book, The Movie: A Splendid Ruin.

--Marshal Zeringue