Friday, March 06, 2020

William Boyle's "City of Margins," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: City of Margins: A Novel by William Boyle.

The entry begins:
Heavily inspired by films with big ensemble casts by directors like Robert Altman, Alan Rudolph, and John Sayles, City of Margins has that same double VHS sprawl, with nine key players and lots of bit parts. If it was to get made into a film, here's who I'd like to play the lead roles:

Ava Bifulco: Marisa Tomei

Donna Rotante: Elisabeth Moss

Donnie Parascandolo: Vince Vaughn

Mikey Baldini: Alex Wolff

Antonina Divino: Florence Pugh

Nick Bifulco: Jesse Plemons

Rosemarie Baldini: Amy Ryan

Ralph Sottile: Robert Longstreet

Pags: Kevin Corrigan

This was tough. I’m a big film lover, and I often think about certain actors as I write. Edie Falco, John Turturro, and Steve Buscemi are just a few saints of my imagination. I also write a lot with James Gandolfini in mind, and I’m sad I’ll never get to write something he could actually star in—that would’ve been the greatest. City of Margins presented other challenges, as it was...[read on]
Visit William Boyle's website.

My Book, The Movie: Gravesend and The Lonely Witness.

The Page 69 Test: Gravesend and The Lonely Witness.

Writers Read: William Boyle.

The Page 69 Test: City of Margins.

My Book, The Movie: City of Margins.

--Marshal Zeringue