Monday, October 12, 2015

Homer Hickam's "Carrying Albert Home," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: Carrying Albert Home: The Somewhat True Story of A Man, His Wife, and Her Alligator by Homer Hickam.

The entry begins:
Carrying Albert Home is a family legend about my parents, Homer (Sr.) and Elsie Hickam, and told by them over decades. When I first heard their various stories of Albert and how they carried him (along with a rooster) from West Virginia to Florida in the backseat of an old Buick during the Great Depression, I just thought I was hearing tales of youthful misadventure. That was true but it turns out the family legend of Albert is a bit more. When I put their stories together sequentially for the purposes of my novel, I discovered that my parents had actually sent me a message from their present location which I am fairly certain is heaven. Rather than being a story of an outlandish road trip, Carrying Albert Home was nothing less than their explanation of why they stayed together during sixty years of marriage while essentially not agreeing on much of anything. It was, of course, all because of love, that inadequate word that describes the most marvelous and least understood of human emotions.

If there is a movie made based on Carrying Albert Home (actually a very real possibility), I think it would be inspired casting to put...[read on]
Visit Homer Hickam's website.

My Book, The Movie: Carrying Albert Home.

--Marshal Zeringue