Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Sophie Jaff's "Love is Red," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: Love is Red by Sophie Jaff.

The entry begins:
I can’t tell you whom I would cast, but I do know that the actor cast for Sael de Villias would have to be devastatingly sexy and the actor playing David Balan, utterly charming. Katherine Emerson would be the trickiest to cast, as I deliberately never describe her physically. I wanted the reader to form their own impressions from her conversation, choices, wit and inner monologues. It would be a challenge to pin her down.

However I know exactly whom I’d love to score my work. This comes, no doubt from my musical theatre writing background. When I was writing Love is Red, I would walk down the streets of New York listening to the film scores of Vertigo, Taxi Driver, Fahrenheit 451 and Cape Fear, composed by the legendary Bernard Hermann. Hermann’s film scores are by turns; epic, gritty, raw, seductive, wistful, dangerous, primal, and heartbreaking. For me, they capture the very essence of New York in a sweltering summer.

Unfortunately, I have yet to raise the dead.

I think my book captures many different genres so I would want a director who could portray a world with a rich sense of color and movement and who could deliver the essence of a vibrant living city caught in the grip of terror of a terrifying serial killer. I see my book as a blend of psychological horror thriller and romance. If I got to choose a director I would actually shy away from a director of specifically of horror. The film Beautiful Creatures directed by a young Peter Jackson is the closest I can get to the kind of eerie ‘other world’ aesthetic.

I would also have to practice the dark arts of necromancy for some of the directors I have in mind like Hitchcock (basically anything he did) and...[read on]
Visit Sophie Jaff's website.

My Book, The Movie: Love is Red.

--Marshal Zeringue