Sunday, June 21, 2015

Four books that changed Angelica Banks

Angelica Banks is not one writer but two. Heather Rose and Danielle Wood are old friends who live in Tasmania. Both are award-winning authors of adult fiction and together they write children's fantasy.

One of four books that changed the authors, as shared with the Sydney Morning Herald:
The Old Man and the Sea
Ernest Hemingway

This was my first book from the adult section of the State Library in Hobart. I was six years old. I didn't knew books could have sad endings, having been raised on a steady diet of Golden Books and rhyming poetry. My grandfather was also a fisherman – and I'd spent my short life until then with a fishing line in my hand – so the idea of a huge fish was vivid for me. Reading this book made me quite certain I wanted to be a writer. (Heather)
Read about another entry on the list.

The Old Man and the Sea is among Leo Benedictus's five best books for men who never read, Jung Chang's 6 favorite books, Kathryn Williams's thirteen best stories about pride, Scott Greenstone's twenty best books with fewer than 200 pages, Michael Palin's six favorite books, Robson Green's six best books, and Dave Boling's five best examples of how to structure a novel. N.M. Kelby has suggested that The Old Man and the Sea may be The Great Florida Novel.

--Marshal Zeringue