Monday, February 02, 2015

Coffee with a canine: Wendy Wahman & LaRoo and Jody.

Featured at Coffee with a Canine: Wendy Wahman & LaRoo and Jody.

The author, on how her dogs got their names:
LaRoo’s full name is Lili Bolero LaRoo, LaRoo. I heard a song sung by Frank Sinatra, "LaRoo, LaRoo Lily Bolero." I love to sing, I make up songs for all my dogs, I loved the name… Voila! I have a full song already written for my little Minky (one of her ‘pet’ names) Jody’s registered name is, Desert Reef’s A Boy Named Jody. People usually (almost always) raise an eyebrow at our naming a boy, Jody, but for my husband and me, ‘Jody’ brings up fond childhood literary memories such as, The Red Pony and The Grapes of Wrath. Jody is an old fashioned Irish name. We like it, it fits him, our Joy Boy, so that’s all that matters. One of his nicknames is...[read on]
About Don’t Lick the Dog, from the publisher:
Meeting a new dog is exciting, but it can also be scary. This humorous how-to manual shows kids the best ways to interact with unfamiliar dogs, providing helpful tips about all sorts of dog behavior. Children often don’t understand what dogs’ actions mean and can misinterpret a threatening signal for a friendly one and vice versa. Kids and parents will return to Wendy Wahman’s playful illustrations again and again for useful reminders: Slow Down. Stay very still. And remember, don’t lick the dog!
Visit Wendy Wahman's website, blog, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

Watch a cute video of LaRoo and Jody and the book trailers for Don't Lick the Dog, A Cat Like That, and Snowboy 1, 2, 3.

Coffee with a Canine: Wendy Wahman & LaRoo and Jody.

--Marshal Zeringue