Thursday, August 01, 2013

What is Kate Kelly reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Kate Kelly, author of You Lucky Dog!.

Part of her entry begins:
I have two main methods I use for reading for pleasure. One is via audio book. I listen when I’m driving or walking my dogs. (I think I have always had “scent hounds,” dogs that like to smell every blade of grass on a walk, which makes our walks very slow---and they would be agonizing if I didn’t have a book to listen to.) Audiobooks have a very important requirement---they must be well-told tales. If I stop to chat with a neighbor when walking the dogs, or encounter some sort of problem while driving, it’s important that I am able to accept an interruption but be listening to a story that has a strong enough narrative that I can assess what happened when I became distracted.

Some of my favorite audiobooks are mysteries, and I’m a huge fan of Michael Connelly. I liked him before we moved to Los Angeles, but now his mysteries are even more interesting to me since I live in the city where he sets his stories. The most recent one I listened to was The Black Box, a mystery that goes back in time to a Los Angeles where the Watts Riots were taking place. I enjoy Connelly’s characters, and he does a good job of...[read on]
About Kate Kelly's You Lucky Dog!, from the publisher:
You Lucky Dog! is an uplifting compilation of true stories about homeless dogs that somehow survived and thrived to become local or national celebrities. One such story features Bum, a steamship stowaway, who hops off a ship in San Diego in 1886 and makes the town his home. There's also Terry, the dog who played Toto in The Wizard of Oz, who was given away by his first owners who found him disobedient. Don't forget that famous Benji was a shelter dog before he became a star.

The book also contains unforgettable stories about America's First Dogs (and a First Fish and a First Raccoon) to give a rounded view of our dogs' place in American history. Kate captures their very souls in moving descriptions of the devotion, loyalty and trust that not only changed the fortune of these very special dogs, but also the lives of their human caregivers.
Visit the America Comes Alive website, and learn more about You Lucky Dog! From Homeless to Famous.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Kate Kelly and Lucy.

Writers Read: Kate Kelly.

--Marshal Zeringue