Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Michael Norman's "Skeleton Picnic," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Skeleton Picnic by Michael Norman.

The entry begins:
Skeleton Picnic tells the story of Rolly and Abigail Rogers, a prominent and well respected southern Utah couple who reside near the Arizona border. Despite their reputation as pillars of the community, the Rogers also happen to be notorious pot hunters who illegally gather and sell ancient Anasazi and Fremont Indian antiquities. On their first pot hunting trip of the spring season, the couple disappears into the desert wilderness without a trace. Suspecting foul play, local Sheriff Charley Sutter calls on BLM Law Enforcement Ranger and former Denver Police Department Robbery/Homicide detective, J.D. Books for help.

Like many writers, I never think about movie casting while writing the story—afterward, maybe. Recently, however, while doing an author event for a local library, I was asked which actors I would choose in the movie version of the J.D. Books novels. At the time, I dodged the question but later began to think about it. I settled on the following main characters.

Recognizing that the J.D. Books mysteries are really contemporary westerns set in the desert southwest, I knew I wanted rugged actors who had played similar roles. For the character of Kane County Sheriff Charley Sutter, the pick was easy, and in fact, a toss-up between two actors. I can envision either Ed...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Michael Norman's website.

My Book, The Movie: Skeleton Picnic.

--Marshal Zeringue