Monday, April 30, 2012

Zoë Marriott's "Shadows on the Moon," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Shadows on the Moon by Zoë Marriott.

The entry begins:
Shadows on the Moon is hard to cast because it is set in Tsuki no Hikari no Kuni, or The Moonlit Lands - a fairytale version of Japan. All the main cast are Asian, and the male romantic lead is black. Sadly, even today you don't often see young Asian or black romantic leads in Hollywood! But I would still love to see a film of this book. The lush beauty of Japan isn't celebrated on film nearly as often as it should be, and my heart would thrill to see the imaginary world I created spring to life on screen.

In order to cast Suzume - the sheltered child of a poet who transforms first into Rin, a humble, fear-stricken drudge, and then Yue, a supernaturally beautiful courtesan who is desperate to avenge the death of her family - I need to look abroad. The Japanese actress who most brings Suzume to mind is...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Zoë Marriott's website and blog.

Writers Read: Zoë Marriott.

My Book, The Movie: Shadows on the Moon.

--Marshal Zeringue