Monday, May 24, 2010

What is Dani Kollin reading?

The current feature contributor at Writer's Read: Dani Kollin, co-author (with his brother Eytan) of The Unincorporated Man and The Unincorporated War.

His entry begins:
Little Women by Louise May Alcott

Strangely enough this is a book that has been read by almost every American woman (currently past the age of 35) and nary a man. I'm not kidding. Ask ten women in the given age range if they've read it and you'll find that most, at one time, have. Ask any man and you'll find that not only have they not read it but most have never even heard of it! Now I'm not reading it to get in with post 35 sorority. I'm reading it as research. Eytan and I are writing a book that is very female centric and we wanted to get into zeitgeist of what makes women tick. The answer, of course, will not be found in the reading of a single book but my oh my does it begin to open some doors. In fact a few nights ago I got into a heated discussion with a woman about a particular scene as her husband stared at me dumbfounded. Suffice to say, I do take issue with Ms Alcott's writing style which I find too liberal with the use of...[read on]
Among the early praise for The Unincorporated War:
"The Kollins’ masterful command of multiple plot threads, characters, and the motifs of grand-scale space opera make for a breathtaking sequel."
--Booklist
Admirers of the debut book in the trilogy include:
"This is a bright, stimulating work that deserves a wide readership."
--Gregory Benford, 3 x Nebula award winner, author of Beyond Human: Living with Robots and Cyborgs

"Reminiscent of Heinlein--a good, old-fashioned, enormously appealing SF yarn. Bravo!"
--Robert J. Sawyer, Hugo Award-winner, author of Wake
Visit Dani Kollin's blog and The Unincorporated Man website.

Writers Read: Dani Kollin (April 2009).

Writer's Read: Dani Kollin.

--Marshal Zeringue