Saturday, May 29, 2010

Gerald Scarfe's six best books

Gerald Scarfe is one of Britain’s best-known cartoonists; his work is well-known to readers of The New Yorker.

He named his six best books for The Daily Express. One title on the list:
Solar by Ian McEwan

My wife Jane is always passing on novels she has read to me and they often tend to be McEwan’s. I love just about all the books of his I’ve read and his latest novel, which I’m reading now, is every bit as good as his previous work.
Read about another book on the list.

Alexandra Alter of the Wall Street Journal asked McEwan, "Michael Beard, your protagonist [in Solar], ends up at the center of a media storm for his comments about the differences between male and female brains. You've been slammed in the press for your comments about Islam and other subjects. Why did you decide to put your character through something similar?" Read McEwan's reply.

--Marshal Zeringue