Friday, April 06, 2007

What is Christopher Buckley reading?

Christopher Buckley, the editor of ForbesLife magazine and author of Thank You for Smoking and the new novel Boomsday, talked to the Christian Science Monitor about what he was watching and listening to.

And reading:
Colossus: The Rise and Fall of the American Empire [by Niall Ferguson]. It's a stunning work. There is more knowledge on each page than I have accumulated in 54 years. He's turned me around a bit on things like Iraq. He's pro-empire. I have been anti-empire, but now I'm beginning to wonder. Though what a mess over there.... [Also], anything by Christopher Hitchens, whom I consider the greatest living essayist in the English language. And absolutely anything by P.J. O'Rourke, whom I consider the funniest – and brightest – writer in the language. I [also] confess to an enduring tropism toward the Drudge Report.
(Could he have meant at least one of those sentences ironically?)

Read about Buckley's taste in television and music.

--Marshal Zeringue