Friday, April 13, 2007

Geraldine Brooks: 5 most important books

Pulitzer Prize-winning author Geraldine Brooks talked to Newsweek earlier this year about her five most important books.

Learn more about that select list.

She also tagged a couple of titles using other criteria:
A classic that, on rereading, was disappointing:

Little Women, not because it isn't wonderful. But reading it after learning about the rich and radical mind of Louisa May Alcott made me yearn for the novel she might have written without the fetters of convention.

The book you wanted to share with your child:

Several summers ago, my son and I would sit in the swing on the back porch every morning reading The Lord of the Rings aloud. I wanted him to create his own vision before the movie came out. As we got deeper into the book, the sessions would get longer and longer and I'd realize half my day was shot. But it was worth it.

--Marshal Zeringue