Wednesday, September 07, 2022

Amy Fusselman's "The Means," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: The Means: A Novel by Amy Fusselman.

The entry begins:
If they make my book into a film I hope it’s an animated show.

My book, The Means, is a tragicomic (but mostly comic) story about a married, stay-at-home mom with two kids who really wants a beach house in the Hamptons.

I am a little leery of movies, which I know is not a common take. But I do like TV shows, or whatever we are calling them now. In particular, I like what’s happening with animated shows on streaming platforms, and if I could have my book turned into anything on a screen, I would like it to become a 22-minute, animated show. (Or, tbh, a video game. But that's a whole other consideration). For the purposes of this post, then, I will think about casting voice actors rather than actor-actors.

The most important voice to cast would be the one of my narrator, Shelly Means. Shelly seems pretty nonthreatening but she actually has a lot of power. It would be great to underscore that part of her character by having her voiced by James Earl Jones. But because Shelly also has anger management problems and sometimes has a hard time expressing herself, she could also be voiced, at times, by...[read on]
Visit Amy Fusselman's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Means.

--Marshal Zeringue