Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Jacinda Townsend's "Mother Country," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: Mother Country: A Novel by Jacinda Townsend.

The entry begins:
The hardest question, for me, is casting. When I think of my protagonist Shannon Cavanagh, whose muted sauciness informs so much of the plot, I think of Kerry Washington. My co-protagonist, Souria Maouloud, does not speak the same language as her captors and neighbors for so much of the novel: Thandiwe Newton is an actress whose range would allow her to commit all the on-screen physicality that Souria's role would require. Shannon's husband, Vladimir Grenfell, is such an unmitigated dork, and in some way nonetheless to blame for everything that goes wrong in this novel. LaKeith Stanfield would be a perfect Vlad.

My favorite films are...[read on]
Visit Jacinda Townsend's website.

My Book, The Movie: Mother Country.

--Marshal Zeringue