Friday, December 19, 2008

What is Annie Barrows reading?

The current featured contributor to Writers Read: Annie Barrows, author of the children’s series Ivy and Bean, as well as The Magic Half, and co-author of the acclaimed The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Her entry begins:
I've just started a reread of Our Mutual Friend. I read it years and years ago, and all I remember is great mountains of slime and trash and filth, but I know, given Dickens, that there's got to be more to it than that. I expect a virtuous but beleaguered girl to show up at any moment. In the meantime, I am riveted by the disgusting descriptions of the Thames. I have a deep personal interest in Victorian sanitation.[read on]
Visit Annie Barrows' website.

Among the praise for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society:
"I can't remember the last time I discovered a novel as smart and delightful as this one, a world so vivid that I kept forgetting this was a work of fiction populated with characters so utterly wonderful that I kept forgetting they weren't my actual friends and neighbors. Treat yourself to this book, please — I can't recommend it highly enough."
--Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love
Writers Read: Annie Barrows.

--Marshal Zeringue