Thursday, September 18, 2008

What is Margaret Luongo reading?

The current featured contributor to Writers Read: Margaret Luongo, author of the new short story collection, If the Heart Is Lean.

Part of her entry:
When I was preparing to teach an intro to Creative Writing class last year, I went to the library to check out Amy Bloom’s Come to Me, which I love. I ended up also getting Dagoberto Gilb’s Woodcuts of Women, a collection of 10 stories and woodcuts. I’m just getting around to reading it now. His characters love women and they love love. If menace can be delicate, it is here; linked to desire and vanity, it’s all the more unsettling. I’m only two stories in, but already I know I’ll want to re-read these stories.[read on]
Margaret Luongo teaches creative writing at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. She is the recipient of an Ohio Arts Council Individual Creativity Grant and the Walter E. Dakin Fellowship at the Sewanee Writers’ Conference.

Her stories have appeared in Tin House, Jane magazine, Fence, The Cincinnati Review, the 2004 Pushcart Prize anthology, and other journals.

She is currently working on a new collection of stories, tentatively titled Fine Arts.

Writers Read: Margaret Luongo.

--Marshal Zeringue