Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Ellen Goodlett's "Rule," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: Rule by Ellen Goodlett.

The entry begins:
I am terrible at mentally casting movies, so I’ll just preface this whole post with that. But one of my first friends who read and fangirled over Rule told me in her head she’d cast the three narrators’ father, King Andros, as Idris Elba the whole time, and after that, I couldn’t resist trying to cast my three protagonists, at least for my own sake.

I don’t watch a lot of TV, so to start with I tried googling actors. That never really works out, though. But I caught a lucky break when I went to watch Solo in theaters. At the very end, a girl came on-screen (no spoilers about her role in the movie, I promise), and I actually gasped aloud in the theater, because I was like, that’s Akeylah.

Akeylah is my quiet sister, the one who’s usually in the background. But don’t mistake her quiet for ignorance or acquiescence. In reality, she’s the one who often has the best suggestions. She doesn’t speak often, but when she does, you’d better listen, because she’s figured out what’s actually going on. If I had a say in it, Erin Kellyman would...[read on]
Visit Ellen Goodlett's website.

My Book, The Movie: Rule.

--Marshal Zeringue