Sunday, August 28, 2016

Four books that influenced Iain Reid

Iain Reid is the author of two critically acclaimed, award-winning books of nonfiction, One Bird's Choice and The Truth About Luck, and the novel I’m Thinking of Ending Things. One of four books that changed the author, as shared at the Sydney Morning Herald:
One Man's Meat
E.B. White

I found this book on one of the shelves at the farmhouse where I grew up. I knew White from Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little, books I'd loved as a child, but it wasn't until I read his essays that I started to fully appreciate White's skill. Although most were written 50 years or so before I was born, it was thrilling to read (in such beautiful prose) about a small farm that seemed similar to my own.
Read about another entry on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue