Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Ellen Wittlinger's "Local Girl Swept Away," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: Local Girl Swept Away by Ellen Wittlinger.

The entry begins:
I suppose, since Local Girl Swept Away is a book whose four main characters are 17-years-old, I would not be able to cast Benedict Cumberbatch in any of the roles. This is really a shame as I know many people who would pay good money to watch B.C. do nothing more than stare at his shoes for two hours. Maybe I could write in a part for him.

It's harder to cast (even fantasy-cast) teenagers because the actors you like age out so quickly, but I'll do my best. For the lead role, my narrator, Jackie Silva, I choose Kiernan Shipka who played Don Draper's daughter in Mad Men. The blonde hair would have to go as Jackie is a Portuguese fisherman's daughter and not one to bother to lighten her hair. I thought Shipka was one of the bright lights of Mad Men and I'm surprised she hasn't been used more in films for teens. Come on, people, she's going to outgrow teen movies soon!

The second lead, Lorna, is a wild child, impulsive and mysterious. My choice of actor here is...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Ellen Wittlinger's website.

The Page 69 Test: Local Girl Swept Away.

My Book, The Movie: Local Girl Swept Away.

--Marshal Zeringue