Saturday, April 12, 2014

Ann Weisgarber's "The Promise," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: The Promise by Ann Weisgarber.

About the book, from the publisher:
True confessions. I’m not up on the latest when it comes to movie stars. But when I was writing The Promise, a novel set in Galveston, Texas, in 1900 at the time of a historic hurricane, I visualized Renée Zellweger as my Nan Ogden character. Nan is rough around the edges, prides herself on being self-sufficient, and can’t bear fussy manners. Renée Zellweger played a similar no-nonsense woman in Cold Mountain. Whenever I was stuck, I’d picture Renée Z. waging her finger at me for moaning about writer’s block. “You think you have it hard,” I could hear her saying. “My daddy run off when I wasn’t nothing but a little thing and I’ve just wrung the neck of a chicken for supper. Try that for hard.”

My Nan character has a very different life story but she’s...[read on]
Visit Ann Weisgarber's website.

Weisgarber is also the author of The Personal History of Rachel DuPree. She lives in Sugar Land, Texas, close to Renée Zellweger’s hometown.

My Book, The Movie: The Promise.

--Marshal Zeringue