Thursday, January 16, 2014

Kim Fu's "For Today I Am a Boy," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: For Today I Am a Boy by Kim Fu.

The entry begins:
If I’m dreaming big, Wong Kar-wai would direct the movie version of my book. Several of his films have a similar relationship to time as For Today I Am a Boy: episodic, lots of small scenes and details that add up to a life. An avalanching effect.

While I was writing, I actually pictured a young Maggie Cheung for the eldest sister, Adele. She has the wounded elegance, the breezy big-sister authority, and the crushing, heart-stopping beauty.

The rest of the characters are harder for me to imagine. The scarcity of Asian actors in Hollywood is a limiting factor. Maybe...[read on]
Visit Kim Fu's website.

My Book, The Movie: For Today I Am a Boy.

--Marshal Zeringue