Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What is Jen Calonita reading?

Today's featured contributor at Writers Read: Jen Calonita, author of There's No Place Like Home and five previous novels in the teen series, Secrets of My Hollywood Life.

Her entry begins:
I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and I think it might be the best book I've read in the last ten years. I'm serious! The story definitely sounded intriguing, but sometimes I feel like the books with the most hype wind up being the most disappointing (maybe because I put so many expectations on them). I held off reading The Help for that reason. My only regret turned out to be not reading the book sooner! I could not put it down and that's saying something when I had my own book revision due and have two small boys to take care of. I loved the unexpected friendship between Abileen, Minny and Miss Skeeter especially since it...[read on]
About There's No Place Like Home, from the publisher:
After her brilliant run on Broadway and surviving the harsh concrete jungle of New York City, seventeen-year-old Hollywood "It Girl" Kaitlin Burke is back in L.A. starting a sitcom with her former-nemesis-now-BFF, Sky. The show is a huge success! In fact, maybe a little too huge, Kaitlin realizes, after a bad run-in with aggressive paparazzi puts her boyfriend Austin in danger. She wishes, once again, that she could have a normal life.

But what Kaitlin doesn't realize is that her Hollywood life has had a positive influence on just about everyone she loves, and it takes a minor car accident and a nasty concussion to truly grasp how lucky she is. In Jen Calonita's sixth and final Secrets of My Hollywood Life novel, Kaitlin learns at last about the price of fame, the unending upside of friendship, and that there really is no place like home-even if it's Tinseltown.
Visit Jen Calonita's website.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Jen Calonita and Captain Jack Sparrow.

Writers Read: Jen Calonita.

--Marshal Zeringue