Thursday, September 30, 2010

Meredith Cole's Lydia McKenzie novels, the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Posed for Murder and Dead in the Water by Meredith Cole.

The entry begins:
Since I started my career as a filmmaker and screenwriter, people often ask me when my books will be made into films or a television show. It seems natural to other people that I would imagine my stories as both novels and films from the very beginning. But I don’t. When I set out to write something new, I choose at some point whether a story is destined for the screen or for the pages of a book. And then I write it (or direct it). And then I’m done.

I wouldn’t say “no” if someone bought up the film rights and gave Lydia a new life in a different medium. There are probably things I would find painful (they might exaggerate her vintage clothes or goofiness), and others I would find enlightening (I wrote that?). But it would be an interesting experience nonetheless.

When someone first asked me who I saw playing Lydia, one actress popped into my head...[read on]
Meredith Cole started her career as a screenwriter and filmmaker. She was the winner of the St. Martin’s Press/Malice Domestic competition. Posed for Murder (2009) was nominated for an Agatha Award for Best First Mystery Novel. Dead in the Water (2010) continues the adventures of photographer Lydia McKenzie in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Cole teaches writing at the University of Virginia.

Learn more about the book and author at Meredith Cole's website.

My Book, The Movie: Meredith Cole's Lydia McKenzie novels.

--Marshal Zeringue