Friday, November 23, 2007

What is Shirley Maclaine reading?

Shirley Maclaine, actor and author -- she has a new book out, Sage-ing while Age-ing -- talked to the Christian Science Monitor about her radio listening and television- and film-viewing.

And what she's been reading:
Christopher Hitchens's God Is Not Great. I think he's got a lot of points about religion and how we're going at each other because we don't believe in somebody else's God. Although, most of what he says, I'm not in agreement with. [He picks] an argument using the point of view that you think would be absolutely the opposite of his own. I'm also reading The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright, [which is] about Al Qaeda. Very, very good. I'm still reading it but I like very much how he's educating the reader as to how all this came about. I just finished Carl Bernstein's book on Hillary Clinton [A Woman in Charge] – interesting. [He shows] how religious she is, which I didn't know. I don't read fiction – my life is fiction, I don't need more of it!
Read Maclaine's praise of two recent movies and her thoughts on the "intellectual maniacs" (reckless use of an adjective there, Shirley) she watches on television.

--Marshal Zeringue