Monday, November 12, 2007

What is Maureen Jennings reading?

The latest contributor to Writers Read: Maureen Jennings, the award-winning novelist whose books include seven titles in her Detective Murdoch series and The K Hand Shape, the forthcoming second installment in her Christine Morris series.

Part of her entry:
Having now finished The K Hand Shape, which took me into the world of Deaf culture, not to mention serial killers, I am currently embarking on a new book which means saturating myself in research material. The book is set in England of 1940 in Shropshire and I have been reading everything I could find on:
  • The Women's Land Army;
  • The internment camps;
  • Hitler and the Nazis.
I can't believe how much I didn't know. For instance I had no idea that 'enemy aliens' were interned in England for sometimes as long as two years. As the majority were Jewish refugees who had fled Nazi Germany and were highly unlikely to want to spy for him, the situation was cruel and unfair. As one book called it, Blatant Injustice. One of the books on the Nazis is Ian Kershaw's superb biography of Hitler and one of my absolute favourite writers, John Keegan has a book on World War II. [read on]
Visit Maureen Jennings's website.

The Page 99 Test: A Journeyman to Grief.

Writers Read: Maureen Jennings.

--Marshal Zeringue